Monday, September 2, 2024

The History and Workings of the U.S. Supreme Court

What did you learn about the Supreme Court that you didn't already know?

In high school, I took AP government sophomore year and remembered some information from that class. Most of my knowledge on the government topic was forgotten after taking the AP test. One thing I needed to remember was that there are only nine justices. For some reason, I assumed there would be more since so many cases are brought to their attention but since I now know there are only nine that makes sense as to why out of those petitions arrive each year they only accept 100-150 a year. 

  What is the most important takeaway point about the Supreme Court?
 One of the most important takeaways about the Supreme Court is that the Justices are probably there until they step down or die. I feel like this is an important class because every other branch has an allotted amount of time they are allowed to be in office but the judiciary branch gets to choose how short or long they want to stay. This is big in my opinion because there might be a justice who the vast majority of the public dislikes and there isn't much the public can do about it. Impeachment is an option but has only happened once ever so it isn't very likely. 

    What was the most surprising thing you learned?
The Supreme Court as composed October 27, 2020 to present
    The thing I was the most surprised about is that Justices say they have pre-established views of the case before they go into it. They also said they normally don't change their minds in the middle of the case. That was surprising to me because the best way to do it is to go into a case with an open mind. I feel like going in before you have heard either side and already deciding the outcome might not be the best way to go into a case.  

    How did the video change the way you thought of the Supreme Court?
    Before watching this video I knew about the Supreme Court but I didn't know many details that make the Supreme Court what it is. I learned many new things and understand now how the Supreme Court actually works. I thought the Supreme Court was like 300 judges all taking the most important cases that were randomly given to them. I have now come to realize the justices read every single case and then choose what they would like to do and fight for. It is more personal that way and even more personal that only 9 people do it and not 300. The fact that all 9 Supreme Court justices listen to every single case and give their personal opinion while debating with the other justices over the result of the case makes it so much more personal and important. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

EOTO Terms and Concepts- Confirmation bias

Confirmation bias:     The definition of confirmation bias is the tendency to seek out and give undue credibility to information that suppor...